Are you deeply worried, angry, or otherwise unhappy about the current state of our country and the Commonwealth? Do you keep score of progressive policy gains and setbacks? Are you concerned about the inequities in the accessibility of reproductive health care and rights? Are you eager to jump into the debate to advance policies to support pregnant people and families across Virginia? So are we. You may be a perfect fit for our team of “repro warriors” if you get up every day—despite the Trump administration’s latest anti-abortion, anti-birth control actions—ready to drive forward the change we seek in the world.
NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia seeks a full-time Development & Special Events Coordinator to work with our Development Director on efforts to communicate with our membership and secure the resources needed to pursue our mission of protecting and expanding reproductive freedom in Virginia. The Development & Special Events Coordinator will be responsible for processing donations and sending acknowledgement letters, prospect research, donor data management, assisting in communications with donors, and planning fundraising and stewardship events as well as outreach activities for the organization. This position will also support the Executive Director by acting as board liaison for our three Boards of Directors and assisting with other administrative duties as needed.
Our ideal candidate will have prior development and/or administrative experience and enjoys event planning and managing logistics for a variety of functions. This person is incredibly organized and detail oriented, and able to balance multiple projects and prioritize deadlines in a fast-paced environment. They are an excellent communicator with the ability to effectively convey the mission and vision of the organization to donors and prospective donors and are comfortable making phone calls to solicit donations.
Who We Are
NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia (NPCV) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and advancing reproductive rights and health care access at the state level through policy advocacy, grassroots activism, and political organizing. With the support of tens of thousands of member-activists, we build political power for pro-choice Virginians and work to ensure every woman can make the personal reproductive health care decisions that are best for herself and her family – including preventing unplanned pregnancy, having healthy pregnancies and births, and accessing abortion.
NPCV is an independent state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America and is made up of three entities: our main 501(c)(4) issue advocacy and political arm; the 501(c)(3) NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Foundation, which oversees our policy and education programming; and the NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Political Action Committee. Our staff of 10 is located across a central office in Old Town Alexandria, VA and satellite offices in Richmond and Hampton Roads.
What You’ll Do
• Research donor prospects, improve donor database information and organization, and assist with management of donor outreach calendar.
• Process donations, entering them into the database and running reports, watching for trends in giving and opportunities for special follow-up, and sending donor acknowledgement letters.
• Assist with member communication through email alerts and publications such as annual report.
• Various administrative activities as necessary, such as managing donor mailings and keeping development supplies stocked.
• Manage our sustaining donor program (GEMS), including handling day-to-day logistics of program, onboarding new donors, upgrading donors, and general communication.
• Edit and occasionally write donor-facing content.
• Help develop new fundraising initiatives, such as a peer-to-peer fundraising campaign.
Special Events & Logistics (40%)
• In concert with Development Director, plan annual Power of Choice gala, house parties, happy hours, and other fundraising or stewardship special events.
• Manage logistics for board meetings, annual Legislative Scorecard Event, and other member events or internal meeting needs.
Executive Assistant (15%)
• Act as board liaison; managing board calendar, contact lists, fielding applications from interested members, and handling general questions.
• Work with the Executive Director on scheduling needs.
• Additional administrative support for Executive Director as needed.
Office Support (5%)
• Open and close the office (Monday through Friday 9 am – 5 pm).
• Help answer calls received on the main line.
• Process incoming mail (primarily contributions) received at PO Box and main office.
Who You Are
To be successful in this job, you excel in these key areas:
• Prior experience in or interest in learning about the development operations of a non-profit advocacy organization.
• Support and enthusiasm for NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia’s mission to defend and expand the full range of reproductive rights and health care options for people, including abortion, birth control, comprehensive sex education, bearing healthy children, and adoption.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a professional demeanor.
• Strong writer, researcher, and editor.
• Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to meet deadlines.
• Ability to work well both independently and in cooperative decision-making settings.
• Prior experience with, or comfortable learning, donor databases or other systems for tracking and communicating with donors and/or activists.
• Familiarity with activism, politics, and/or non-profits.
• Discretion with sensitive and confidential information.
What Else You Should Know
We are a culture of progressive people deeply committed to reproductive rights and freedom and we are eager to defend and advance those rights. We work in a fast-paced, team-oriented culture, and are frequently (and calmly) multi-tasking and collaborating to meet deadlines. We welcome your bold and creative ideas around fundraising and special events. This position is based out of our Alexandria Headquarters and will report to the Development Director. Your salary and benefits are competitive for the marketplace. Starting compensation is 38-40Ks (commensurate with experience), plus a robust benefits package including health, vision, dental, long-term disability, and life insurance plans, as well as retirement plan and generous paid time off. The position requires some travel and evening and weekend hours. We expect proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and other PC programs. This position is full-time exempt (40 hours). We are committed to a diverse, socially just, and welcoming work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer and people of color, people with varying abilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, please send cover letter and résumé as one document to the attention of Susan Heitker, Development Director, at apply[at]naralva.org with subject line “Development & Special Events Coordinator – [Your Name].”
Your cover letter should address the qualifications listed above and why you are interested in joining our powerful team. Please include where you heard about this opportunity in your application email. We will start reviewing candidates on March 25, but position will be open until filled. Check our website for status update. While the timeline may change, we anticipate a new hire starting in this position by mid- to late-May. No calls please.