Part-Time Temporary Communications Associate (Remote)
NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia has an immediate opening for a part-time temporary Communications Associate. This position will work closely with the Communications Director to execute electoral, legislative, and advocacy campaigns through efforts to communicate with our membership, the public, and the press. The position will be responsible for assisting in internal and external communications with members, activists, volunteers and the media. The fellow will gain skills and experience necessary for working in communications for a non-profit organization or electoral campaign, as well as knowledge of pro-choice messaging, advocacy, and activism. The fellow will assist the staff in communicating with NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia’s members and activists through our website, blog, email listserv, and social media platforms. The fellow will have opportunities to contribute to NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia’s program work to support pro-choice education, awareness and activism across the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Who We Are
NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia (an independent state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America) is dedicated to building and sustaining a constituency that uses the state-level political process to guarantee reproductive freedom for all, including family planning, sexuality education, maternal health care, and safe, legal abortion. NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia is a grassroots 501(c)(4) organization, with a 501(c)(3) Foundation arm and a political action committee (PAC).
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with the Communications Director to create communications plans and tools that will mobilize supporters to take action ahead of and during statewide election season.
- Regularly write and update content on website and social media platforms to keep membership informed on current work and action opportunities in Virginia and ensure website content is up-to-date.
- Brainstorm new ideas to expand social media, blog and website activities and effectiveness and to track social media goals and progress.
- Monitor statewide media on a daily basis for relevant news stories; gather and record news clips; maintain media tracking sheet and press contact lists.
- Help respond to or publicize breaking news through social media.
- Produce graphics for social media, events, and website.
- Learn and utilize CRM platforms (NGP EveryAction and VAN) for email campaigns and list management.
- Assist with event planning, coordination, and support (mostly virtual).
- Video editing as needed
Who You Are
To be successful in this position, you:
- Are up to date on best practices for social media engagement, meme, and content creation.
- Have a dedication to reproductive rights and a background in communications work – ideally for an advocacy organization or nonprofit.
- Support and show enthusiasm for NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia’s mission to defend and expand the full range of reproductive rights and health care options, including abortion, birth control, sex education, bearing healthy children, and adoption. Knowledge of current reproductive rights issues and experience with pro-choice or reproductive justice activism and its intersections is preferred, but not required.
- Are comfortable working in Canva
- Are knowledgeable of social media scheduling platforms
- Have experience with website/blog management (particularly WordPress), desktop publishing, and image editing. Other computer skills are a plus, but not required.
- Have familiarity with progressive online activism, blogging, and social media practices.
- Have demonstrated interest in the worlds of activism, politics, and/or non-profits – specific experience with communications in these areas is a plus, but not required.
- Are a strong interpersonal communicator and exhibit a professional demeanor.
- Have strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to meet deadlines.
- Can work well both independently and in cooperative decision-making settings.
- Are a quick learner – happy to start on the work while you train up and willing to ask questions about the things you don’t know.
What Else You Should Know
We are a culture of progressive people deeply committed to reproductive rights and freedom and we are eager to defend and advance those rights. We work in a fast-paced, team-oriented culture, and are frequently multi-tasking and collaborating to meet deadlines.
We are committed to an equitable, socially just, and welcoming work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer and people of color, people with disabilities, and people of all sexual orientations and genders are especially encouraged to apply.
This position will be hired ASAP (ideally starting in mid-April 2021) and continue through June. This role has the possibility to transition into a full-time, permanent position. The ideal candidate will be available 32 hours per week from approximately 9 am – 5 pm. Some evening and/or weekend work may be required. This position is currently remote due to Covid-19. The position will be paid at $15/hour.
Please send cover letter and résumé as one document to the attention of Chief of Operations McKenzie Midock at apply[at]naralva.org with subject line “Temp Communications Associate – [Your Name].” Please address your qualifications and your commitment to reproductive rights, health, and justice in your cover letter.
Along with your resume and cover letter, we would love to get a sense of your digital skill set in action. Please submit two social media post samples in honor of Equal Pay Day – one post for Instagram and one post for Twitter. Each post should contain one graphic and accompanying text, and be formatted specifically to each platform. Please keep in mind the 280-character limit for Twitter and please include relevant hashtags. Attach your samples in a pdf.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled, but interested applicants are encouraged to apply before Tuesday, April 6.