Are you deeply worried, angry, or otherwise unhappy about the current state of our country and the Commonwealth? Do you keep score of progressive policy gains and setbacks? Are you concerned about the inequities in the accessibility of reproductive health and rights? Are you eager to jump into the debate to advance policies to support women and families across Virginia? So are we.You may be a perfect fit for our team of “repro warriors” if you get up every day – despite the Trump Administration’s latest anti-abortion, anti-birth control, anti-woman actions – ready to drive forward the change we seek in the world.
NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia seeks part-time Richmond Area Election Canvassers. The canvass team will be tasked with educating and mobilizing pro-choice voters through door-to-door outreach in Richmond and the surrounding counties. A strong commitment to reproductive health, rights, and justice is a must. The position requires the ability to work some evenings and/or weekends. This is a temporary job through Election Day, November 5, 2019.
Who We Are
NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia (NPCV) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and advancing reproductive rights and healthcare access at the state level through policy advocacy, grassroots activism, and political organizing. With the support of tens of thousands of member-activists, we build political power for pro-choice Virginians and work to ensure every person who can become pregnant can make the personal reproductive health care decisions that are best for themselves and their families – including preventing unplanned pregnancy, having healthy pregnancies and births, and accessing safe, legal, compassionate abortion care.
NPCV is an independent state affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America and is made up of three entities: our main 501(c)(4) policy and political arm; the 501(c)(3) NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Foundation, which oversees our grassroots advocacy, training and education programming; and the NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia Political Action Committee. Our staff of 11 is located across a central office in Old Town Alexandria and satellite offices in Richmond and Newport News.
What You’ll Do
- Engage with Richmond metro area residents–primarily at their doors, and occasionally via phone banks and community events– providing information on pro-choice candidates and reproductive freedom in the Commonwealth.
- Serve as a passionate and professional ambassador for pro-choice issues in Virginia.
- Consistently show up on time and complete shifts.
Who You Are
To be successful in this job, you have:
- The ability to follow a general script and adjust as needed to the audience.
- The ability to walk for several hours and reach your daily shift metrics in a reasonable timeframe. Punctuality – shifts have pre-set start times, to be determined by the Richmond Community Organizer/Canvass Director. You must show up on time and complete assigned targets.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to quickly build a rapport in conversation with others, regardless of their views.
- Positive attitude, detail-oriented, highly motivated, and organized.
- Ability to work respectfully with people of all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. Enthusiastically support NPCV’s mission and philosophy.
- Bilingual Spanish/English a plus but not required.
- Access to a car a plus but not required.
What Else You Should Know
We are a culture of progressive people deeply committed to reproductive rights and freedom and we are eager to defend and advance those rights and ensure every Virginian can determine their own destiny free from political interference. We work in a fast-paced, team-oriented culture, and are frequently multi-tasking and collaborating to meet deadlines. We welcome your bold and creative ideas and prior experience in community organizing and relationship building.
This position is Temporary (part-time) based out of our Bureau in Richmond, Virginia. Richmond Area Canvassers will report to the Richmond Community Organizer. The position requires some local travel and some evening and weekend hours. Shifts are Tuesday-Thursday and/or Saturday and Sunday afternoons working 3-4 hour shifts. Rate is $15/hour
We are committed to a diverse, socially just, and welcoming work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people with varying abilities, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, please résumé as one document to the attention of Taylor Bernstein, at taylor[at]naralva.org with subject line “Richmond Area Canvasser- [Your Name].”
In the body of your e-mail, please state why you personally support reproductive freedom.
We will begin reviewing candidates on September 16, 2019 and continue on a rolling basis until the positions are filled. If you are interested, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Please include where you heard about this opportunity in your application email. No calls please.